We’ve gathered some of the most useful sites we’ve found relating to Tesla’s vehicles. Categories include:
The Tesla Site
- Model 3 Features and Specifications
- Model 3 Owner’s Manual for North America
- Model 3 Press kit and Specifications
- Do It Yourself Guides
- Download the Tesla Android App from Google
- Download the Tesla iPhone App from Apple
- Service Portal
- Software updates and features timeline
- Parts & Tooling Catalog
- Email to book a Fremont Factory Tour – Tesla vehicle owners are allowed to book a tour and can include up to 3 guests. Tours are available M-F, 10 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 3 pm. It is recommended to book at least 3 weeks in advance. In your email suggest several days/times that will work for you and include your vehicle’s VIN number. With COVID, factory tours may be suspended or limited.
Apps of Interest
- App for Tesla – Easy access to Forums via Smartphone, includes search, iPhone only.
- Cross-platform app for Tesla vehicles – Works on PC or Mac. Open source, API key stored locally (not on someone else’s server).
- DRIVE – Electric – App control your Tesla on a Samsung watch
- GlassTesla – Nice app for Google Glasses to communicate with the Model S
- Model 3 Color Customizer – Pick any custom color and see how it might look
- Model S for BlackBerry – Remote control app that runs on BB10
- MP3diag and MP3val – Scans your mp3 library for tag errors and fixes problems (two different utilities that each can find fix different issues)
- OptiWatt – tracks electrical use and can adjust charging time dynamically based on vehicle use
- QuickTesla – Weather, Radar, News, Charging and Valet. Includes Tesla Stock
- Sentry Keeper – Windows program to view Sentry videos, up to 8X, with other features
- Spotify Karaoke – Shows lyrics for Spotify on the Tesla browser with current playing song
- Time4Tesla – Clock, stocks, news, and weather – formatted for 1/2 display
- Tesla Apss – Good collections of customizable apps including weather, RSS, Plugshare, calculator, etc.
- TeslaCam Video File Player – Works in most browsers, no installation needed
- Tesla Companion – a remote control app that runs on Windows Phone or under Windows 10.
- Tesla Explorer – Access to a car, raw data and cool map replay travel app – iPhone only.
- TeslaFi – Tracking new version installs, charging tracking, and more – paid service
- Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker – See lots of info on who got the latest updates and specific versions
- TeslaPage – Clock, weather, news, charging – location-sensitive and formatted for the Tesla screen
- Tesla Lifestyle – Charging maps with Tesla owner nearby points of interest app for iOS
- TesApp – Browser app for your Tesla – altitude tracker, trip tracker, weather, games & more!
- TeslaScreens – Quick access to many popular/fun Tesla sized screens.
- TeslaTags – Fixes USB id3 tags to show compilation albums with multiple artists as a single album on the Tesla Albums folder.
- Tesla-Waze – Map with local traffic issues, police and other details
- Visible Tesla – Remote control app that runs on a Mac or PC (TMC for more details)
- Battery Day – A Tesla seminar on battery technology – September 22, 2020
- Tesla CyberTruck Reveal – November 21, 2019
- Sound of Silence Tesla Rally, May 17-29, 2019 at Custer, SD
- Tesla Autonomy Investor Day – April 22, 2019
- Midwest Tesla Gathering – July 4, 2018, at Ann Arbor, MI
- TMC Connect 2017 – June 23-25 – Monterey, CA
- Midwest Tesla Gathering – July 29, 2017, at Indianapolis, IN
- TMC Connect 2016 – July 28-30 at Reno, Nevada
- Tesla Gigafactory Grand Opening – July 30, 2016, at Sparks, Nevada
- Midwest Tesla Gathering – June 4, 2016, at St. Louis, Missouri
- Tesla Model 3 Reveal – March 31, 2016, at Hawthorne, CA
- Tesla Model Y Reveal – March 14, 2019, at Hawthorne, CA
- Tesla Model X Launch Event – September 29, 2015, at Fremont, CA
- 43rd Annual EV Rally – September 19, 2015, at Cupertino, CA
- Midwest Gathering – July 25, 2015, at Chicago, IL
- TMC Connect 2015 – July 10-12, 2015 at Santa Clara, CA
- 42nd Annual EV Rally – September 20, 2014, at Cupertino, CA
- RUSH X – April 4, 2015, at Long Beach, CA
- TMC Connect 2014 – July 18-20, 2014 at Monterey, CA – Symposium
- Teslive – July 12-14, 2013 at Fremont, CA
Forums, Social and Informational Sites
- CrazyTeslaBlog – Tesla thoughts and articles
- Electric Moose – Articles on Tesla from the NorCal/Reno club
- Live Counter – Counts of Tesla vehicles sold
- Options by Date – List of Model S option announcements and changes
- Talking Tesla – Weekly free podcast on all things Tesla
- Teslarati – Tesla Aftermarket Product Reviews, News, and Rumors
- TeslaFan – News aggregation service
- TeslaModels – Blog site on Tesla Model S and related news
- Tesla on Reddit – An active forum on all things Tesla
- Teslapedia – Tesla Model S focus on the United Kingdom and Europe
- Tesla Cliff’s Notes – Advice on trips, range, charging times and costs in different situations
- Tesla JSON API – Details on the vehicles external access interface
- Tesla Motors Club – An independent from Tesla Motors ad-based large forum
- Tesla Owners Group – Large group serving the United Kingdom
- Tesla Owners Online – Forum for all Tesla vehicles
- Tesla Software Updates – Shows features and release notes for each release
- Teslike – A compendium of ranges for different models and versions
- The Tesla Show – Podcasts on a range of Tesla related topics.
- Unofficial Tesla Service Manual – DIY repairs
- Voice Commands – Spreadsheet of 150+ usable voice commands
Local Owner’s Club Sites
Products, Accessories & Modification Services
- Abstract Ocean – Model S accessories including screen protectors, FOB covers, and USB adapters
- EVannex – Offers center consoles, lighting, cup-holders, and many other accessories (formally Teslaccessories)
- EVChargeKing – European cables and Tesla port release kit
- EV Tuning – Replacement and repair parts and kits
- Exclusive Detail – “Six Reasons to get a full wrap!” Protection wraps for Tesla
- ForMyTesla – Wheels, spoilers, and other products I haven’t’ seen elsewhere
- Laadkabel – European charging connectors, cables, and related tools
- Light Harmonic – High-end speakers specifically for Tesla
- Owning Model S – Nick Howe’s book and Q&A site
- RealDeal – Parts and programming for Tesla vehicles
- Reus Audio Systems – Installs custom audio systems for the Model S and other exotics
- RPM Tesla– Offers carbon fiber nose cone wraps and decals
- T Sportline – Wheels, carbon fiber accents, interior accessories for the Models S
- Tesla Parts Sell Buy – Facebook page for parts
- TeslaPride – Offers cupholders, mugs, t-shirts and more
- Tinkla – Tinkering with Tesla, including OpenPilot to add AP1 to pre-AP1 cars
- TorkLift Central – Tow bar, magnetic cup holders, removable front license plate holder and more
- UMC-J1772 – Adapters including Tesla connector extension cables 40 and 80 amp versions
- Unplugged – Performance tuning products for the Model S
- Vossen Wheels – Wheels for the Model S
3D DIY Printed Accessories
- Lights – How to Improve Trunk Lighting – Model 3
- Lights – How to Improve Trunk Lighting – Model S
- Sunglasses Holder for Model S – fits above Microphone cover
- Tesla Cable Holder – Charging connector and cable holder
- Tesla Console – Phone and cup holder
- Tesla Cubby Tray – Holds glasses and more!
- Tesla Model 3 Emergency door release cover – reduces people using the wrong release
- Tesla Model 3 Sunscreen Clip– helps hold the roof sunscreen better
- Tesla Model 3 Trunk Leveler – Makes trunk floor more level.
- Tesla Model S Cubby Trays – Fits perfectly in the cubby.
- Tesla Supercharger USB Charger – Mini replica of a Supercharger pedestal
- UMC Cable Protector – Protect the cable when under the garage door
- UMC Wall Mount Bracket – Holds the MC “brick” on the wall
Buying or Selling a Tesla
- Tesla Buy from Used Inventory (previously called CPO sales)
- AutoList – Searches multiple websites for sales, with Tesla specific search
- AutoTrader – For sale by owner and dealers, offers filters, location, etc.
- CarGurus – For sale by owners and dealers, offers filters, location, etc.
- eBay Motors – Online Tesla vehicle auction sales
- EV Consolidator – lists Tesla CPO cars and others, sorting, filters, etc.
- EVcompare – Compares new, discontinued and announced EVs from all vendors
- Kelly Blue Book (KBB) – Get an estimate of used car value
- Loan Rates Spreadsheet – Compares Credit Union loan rates and terms
- Only Used Tesla – For anyone selling/buying Tesla vehicles
- TCS Motors – Private selling and buying Tesla vehicles
Making Money with your Car and Rebates
- Ohmconnect pays you money to control your home charging. They may delay charging by up to an hour a few times a week to reduce the electrical grid load during unexpected peak usage. For the Tesla EV (and a few other EVs) no hardware is required. See the site for more details and free signup. Currently limited to select power company areas in the USA.
- City of Pasadena – $250 for new EV; $600 for L2 charger
- City of Roseville – $300 for new EV; $500 for L2 charger (Roseville, California)
- PG&E Clean Fuel Rebate – $500 (Northern California)
- SCE Clean Fuel Rewards – $450 (Southern/Central California)
- SDG&E Clean Fuel Rebate – $200 (Southern California) Check if still available
- SJV Air Pollution Control District – $3,000 (Central Valley California)
- Alternative Fuels Data Center – USA only, specify a zip for a focused map. Limited search filtering by charging type.
- ChargePoint – J1772 for pay chargers specific to the ChargePoint network. Free signup required to use chargers, but requires a $25 deposit.
- EV Trip Planner – Tesla specific mapping for your model type as well as routing through Superchargers – Considers current traffic, temp, speed, and elevations!
- Open Charge Map – A Google map of chargers shows Tesla Superchargers and others, with some filter options
- PlugShare – Includes Tesla Superchargers
- Supercharger Map – shows Superchargers in North America along with those under construction and those with permits
- Fuse Locations and functions for Model S (North America and Europe)
- Fuse Locations and functions for Model X (German site with English details)
- Instrument Cluster Replacement for Model S (video)
- Scroll Wheel Repair Axle Kit and Repair Instructions (eBay)
- Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise? (Car & Driver test)
- Unofficial Tesla Service/Repair Manual
Fun & Interesting Videos and Posts
- Bjørn Nyland’s YouTube Channel with many entertaining travels with his Model S/X
- Clean Disruption – Energy & Transportation Video (1:03:33)
- Consumer Reports – Life with the Tesla Model S (16:24)
- EV1 Training Video and History of EVs from about 1996 (22:07)
- Gigafactory Grand Opening (15:46)
- Model 3 Unofficial Configurator Website
- Official Drag Race – Tesla Model S outperforms Dodge Viper SRT10 (1:20)
- Qantas 737 race against a P90D (1:43)
- Road-Trip, Mexico to Canada via Superchargers plus great advice (11:01)
- Stuff You Didn’t Know Before The Tesla IPO (30:56)
- Tesla and the Self-driving Car, by Consumer Reports (19:23)
- Tesla Fremont Factory – High-resolution Drone Video (2:55)
- Tesla EV Safety Training for firefighters/rescuers (37:08)
- Tesla History by Elon, JB, and Franz (1:37:13)
- Tesla Model S Engulfs Itself In (Tire) Smoke (0:21)
- Tesla Model Y Durability Test – Off-Roading on Arctic ICE (May 2020 11:02)
- The War on Tesla, Musk, and the Fight for the Future (Aug-2018)
- Truckla 2019 – A real pickup truck conversion from a Model 3 (1:45)
- See more in our Humor section…
Clever Tesla Video Ads
Most videos were created by fans, with those marked with “*” created by Tesla.
- Autopilot Summon* (January 2016, 0:48)
- David Holm’s wordless Model S commercial (June 2014, 1:07)
- Gallons of Light (February 2013, 1:01)
- Get to the Future First a Salesforce1 ad with impressive Model S driving (December 2013, 4:37)
- Nozzie (April 2014, 1:23)
- Revolutionize Your Commute* (January 2016, 1:09)
- Tesla 2018* (May-2018, 1:46)
- Tesla Fireflies (October 2015, 1:04)
- Tesla Hong Kong* (January 2016, 2:00)
- Tesla ‘Not a Dream’ (January 2016, 1:23)
Cool Documentary Movies
Electric Car Information
- 85 kW Battery Pack Time-lapse Disassembly – See what’s inside your battery pack! (December 2014, 12:39)
- AI Design by Andrej Karparthy of Tesla (November 2019, 11:10)
- AI for Full Self Driving by Andrejigure Karparty of Tesla (April 2020, 30:08)
- API for Remote Car Access – For coders
- Battery Tech for Tesla Explained, Part 1, the cell; Part 2, the module and Part 3, the pack (August 2017 Video 38:33)
- Bosch retrofits Autonomous driving into an S85 – Shows 1400 hours of installation in 90 seconds, although this is not the system in your Model S (May 2015, video 0:01:29)
- Drive Unit, Battery modules, and 10 kW charger analysis – (August 2015, video 2:01:15, relevant talk from 0:15:50 to 1:20:00)
- Hacking a Tesla Model S: What we found and what we learned – Great information about internal design and security (August 2015)
- Induction vs. DC Brushless motors (January 2007, blog)
- Munro Live – Teardown videos of the Model Y (March 2020 and later)
- Superbottle in the Model 3 – Jalopnik (December 2018, article)
- Teardown of a Model 3 by Ingineerix (2018 – 19+ videos)
- Technical analysis of Lithium-Ion battery types, electrolyte, testing, and longevity (October 2013, video 1:13:29)
- Tesla Autonomy Day (April 2019, video 2:34:00)
- Tesla Deep Dive – Autoline After Hours Talk (January 2019, 1:42:05)
- Tesla Energy Powerwall API
- Time To Come Clean About Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles (June 2014, a well-researched article)
Other Elon Musk Ventures
- Neuralink – Developing implantable high-speed brain-computer interfaces.
- OpenAI – A non-profit artificial intelligence (AI) research company, although Elon stepped off the board in Feb-2018.
- SpaceX (Space Exploration Technologies) – Designs, manufactures, and launches rockets and spacecraft.
- SolarCity – Develops and installs solar panels and solar roofs. Elon was an investor and chairman. SolarCity was acquired by Tesla in 2016.
- The Boring Company – Developing low-cost urban tunnels for underground vehicle traffic.