Enjoy! Categories include:
Fun Videos, Cartoons, and Blogs
- Apple Car (March 2015, Video 2:34)
- How A Tesla Model S Engineer Pours A Beer (December 2012, Video 0:59)
- Gas Powered Everything Commercial (May 2011, Video 1:01)
- Jay Leno races against a Grandma in a Model S (January 2016, Video 2:01)
- Mercedes Benz AA Class Commercial – SNL (April 2016, Video 2:07)
- Model X Christmas Light Show (December 2016, Video 2:11)
- Owning the Model S (November 2013, Comic)
- Tesla Model H Announcement (April 1, 2015, Blog)
- Ticket Avoidance Mode for the Model S (April 1, 2015, Video 1:24)
Easter eggs are hidden fun items that Tesla programmers have added over the years. Some of the more popular easter eggs were moved to the Apps menu -> Toybox. (Dec-2020 update)
Hidden Easter Eggs
- Multicolor Charge Port – With the charger connected and a white ring (not charging, unlocked), on the handle, press the port release button 10 times in a row. The port goes multicolor for about 10 seconds and then locks the handle.
- Ludicrous Mode Warp Speed – Switch from Sport to Ludicrous mode and hold the Ludicrous button for about 5 seconds – the screen will go into warp speed! (Performance S/X only)
- Ludicrous Plus – gains about 35 hp and boosts 0-60 to under 2.4 seconds on a Model S! To activate, you need a Ludicrous equipped P100D vehicle. Switch from Sport to Ludicrous mode and hold the Ludicrous button for about 5 seconds – the screen will go into warp speed and a new dialog appears “Are you sure you want to push the limits?”. Select “Yes, bring it on!”. Wait for battery heat, and activate Launch mode. As a bonus, the right side power meter adds a magenta arc for battery temperature. On the left, a new scroll-wheel selection is available “Readouts”. It shows the instantaneous and max values for battery power, each motor’s power, and the longitudinal acceleration. (Performance S/X only)
- Driving Rainbows – For autopilot equipped vehicles, and when autopilot allowed, pull the autopilot engage lever towards you (S/X) or down (3/Y) quickly 4 times in a row. The instrument panel will show a cool rainbow graphic as you drive and you may hear the audio from an SNL skit by Christopher Walken “I Got a Fever…” if nothing is playing.
- Tap the center Tesla logo “T” at the top center of the main display prior to v2020.48.26 OR for v48.26 or later, press Controls -> Software. Tap your vehicle name in right side of the dialog.
- Enter one of these Monty Python references for the car’s name “Patsy”, “Rabbit of Caerbannog”, “Mr. Creosote”, “Mr Creosote”, “Biggus Dickus” or “Unladen Swallow” and press Save. A large foot squashes the dialog along with a short fart sound. On the MCU2 S/X and all 3/Y, if you enter Theater Mode, you’ll get a new Monty Python option that goes to the Monty Python YouTube channel.
- Enter “42” to activate the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe” easter egg that changes the vehicle’s name.
- Playing the Backgammon game – When a player’s game score matches a number 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, or 42, the value turns green instead of grey. These are numbers used in the TV show Lost that tie characters together.
Access Code Easter Eggs
For each of these, prior to v2020.48.26 press and hold the Tesla logo “T” at the top center main display for about 8 seconds until the logo flickers. With 48.26 or later, Press Controls -> Software. Below the vehicle image, tap the Model name.
The access code screen will appear. Enter the text to activate each easter egg.
- Enter “007” for cars with air suspension. Go to Controls, Suspension, and the vehicle is replaced with the 007 Lotus Esprit submarine from the James Bond movie “The Spy Who Loved Me”. Heights are in fathoms! To restore normal graphics, repeat the process.
- Enter “performance”. On some high-end models, you will get the choice to reduce performance to simulate other versions of the car. This only works in some versions like the 100D and was intended for sales demonstrations. We are unsure if this easter egg is still available.
- Enter “mars”. You can now navigate on mars! Press the Earth icon to return to normal. This is now available from the Apps menu -> Toybox.
- Enter “holiday” or “ModelXmas” on a Model X and press Ok. Have your X parked out in the open as the FWDs will open as part of the fun. Exit the car and tap the top of the FOB once. This starts the coordinated holiday show with sound, door movements and lights! It does require the X to be on level ground and nothing within about 6 feet as detected by the ultrasonic sensors.
Voice Controlled Easter Eggs
Press the voice button and say:
- “Ho Ho Ho” – for the Santa Sleigh with music. Say it again to turn it off.
- “Ho Ho Ho Not Funny” – for a different song!
- Keep Tesla Safe or Keep Summer Safe – Turns on/off Sentry mode
Phone App Easter Egg
- When your vehicle range shows 121 miles left, in the mobile app, touch the battery icon. Various app changes occur as a homage to the Back to the Future movie. It starts with a pop-up message displays “Time Circuits Off” along with other changes such as the Charging Tab now labeled “Fuel Chamber”. The vehicle location changes to “1600 S Azusa Ave Rowland Heights” a filming location. A service appointment appears for “November 5, 1955”.
Discontinued Easter Eggs
- Sketchpad – Tap the “T” at the top center three times quickly. The drawing app appears. (Now accessed from the Apps menu -> Toybox).
- Team members – Tap the Tesla logo “T” at the top center main display, then press and hold the model signifier graphic for 15 seconds. The display changes to show Tesla’s team members back in 2012.
- Press and hold the phone button (not the one for music, but the old-time phone button to make a call). The words “ahoy-hoy” appear under the phone. This was Alexander Graham Bell’s preferred salutation when answering the phone. It is derived from the nautical “ahoy”. Thanks go to Jordan Richard for reporting this one.
- Comical review of the awful Fisker Karma command center (May 2012, 41:09)
- Cute Kitten stuck inside motor area of MS (June 2015, 1:53)
- Pet Driving Cars – A Tesla April Fools Blog post (April 2014)
Joke: My Wife is Missing–
A husband went to the police station to report his missing wife:
Husband – I’ve lost my wife, she went shopping yesterday and has still not come home.
Sergeant – What is her height?
Husband – I really never noticed.
Sergeant – Build?
Husband – Not slim, not really fat.
Sergeant – Color of eyes?
Husband – Never noticed.
Sergeant – Color of hair?
Husband – Changes according to season.
Sergeant – What was she wearing?
Husband – Dress/suit/ I don’t remember exactly.
Sergeant – Did she go in a car?
Husband – yes.
Sergeant – What kind of car was it?
Husband – Arrest-Me Red Tesla Model S rear-wheel drive electric vehicle with a liquid-cooled powertrain with 100 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery, dual motors, drive inverter, and gearbox, three-phase, four pole AC induction motor with the copper rotor, drive inverter with variable frequency drive, and regenerative braking system and single speed fixed gear with 9.73:1 reduction ratio and has a very thin scratch on the right front door.… at this point, the husband started crying.
Sergeant – don’t worry sir…….We will find your car.
The Team Members Easter egg doesn’t work on my Model S 60 refresh. I’m thinking it doesn’t work on newer cars.
Invoking the Driving Rainbows easter egg (aka the “Cow Bell”) requires pulling the lever quickly.
Thanks. You’re likely right. I just confirmed it still works on my 2013 S, but I couldn’t get it to work in the showroom on a 2016 S a few weeks ago. You do have to hold on the logo for 15 seconds or so or nothing happens. I’ll update the notes.
how can i get a copy of the factory sticker price with options ?
I’m not sure it’s possible, but I suggest contacting Tesla either the store where you bought the car, or use the Contact Us page on the Tesla Motors website. TeslaTap is not part of Tesla Motors.