Retrofit in the USA market is $500. The retrofit kit is now generally available at service centers. The costs may vary slightly in different regions due to labor costs.
All cars as of June 2015 for North America include the new LTE hardware. Some cars a few weeks before June 2015 may also have LTE. If you have cars made in May 2015 and are unsure if you have LTE capability, contact Tesla service.
To perform the upgrade, the center display must be removed, a fairly complex process requiring much of the dash to be disassembled. The 3G/GPS module inside the display module is replaced with a new 3G/LTE/GPS module from UBLOX and a new SIM card.
Here is the detailed parts list from the kit:
- 1 – PCB ASSEMBLY, LTE CONNECTIVITY, UBLOX GPS (1054968-01-A)
- 1 – SIM CARD, JASPER (1035347-00-A)
- 3 – SCREW, M3x4. (1010052-00-A)
- 12 – SCREW, M5X6. (1010058-00-A)
- 3 – CABLE, (1010854-00-A)
- 3 – SCREW, M3x6. (1010062-00-A)
- 3 – SPACER, M3X6.M/F.HEXAGON.W/PATCH (1010816-00-A)