Ok, you really, really want the built-in Tesla dashcam feature, but you have an older pre-HW 2.5 car (those made before 21-Aug-2018). Let’s break it down some of the considerations and issues:
- You’ll need HW2.5, estimated at about $3,000. This can only be installed in the car with HW2.0 (no AP1 cars). In addition, some portion of the wiring harness may need to be replaced and/or added as well. If your car was manufactured after 21-Aug-2018, you likely have HW2.5.
- If you bought FSD, Tesla will install HW3.0 free of charge when FSD is available, so it seems a bit silly to upgrade to HW2.5 if you already bought FSD.
- V9 or later software is required, which everyone should have already.
- You’ll need a 16 GB flash drive or larger to store the dashcam video.
- You’ll have to replace the 7 monochrome cameras with color cameras. No retrofit option is currently available to do this.